Take care of your Floor For Life
Timberwise flooring is manufactured to be passed on from one generation to the next – a well-made floor stays in good condition for decades to come.
Here are some tips and instructions for looking after your Floor For Life:
1. GOOD INDOOR AIR QUALITY
Flooring stays in optimal condition in indoor air with a relative humidity of 40-60% and temperature between +18 and +24 C°. Adequate ventilation in the summer and using a humidifier in the winter are advisable.
2. DOORMATS TO SHIELD
Prevent gravel and dust from getting onto the floor by placing doormats on both sides of the front door.
3. PROTECT FROM MOISTURE
A water-repellent mat in the hallway protects the floor from excess moisture and water damage.
4. CLEAN PROPERLY
Regular vacuuming and mopping prevent dirt from sticking to the floor.
5. RIGHT AMOUNT OF WATER
When using a mop, avoid getting the floor too wet. The floor should be dry within a minute of mopping.
6. SUITABLE DETERGENT
Avoid using strong detergents that will harm the wax oil or lacquer finish.
7. RIGHT AMOUNT OF DETERGENT
Avoid using excess amounts of detergent to prevent a layer that collects dirt from forming on the surface of the floor.
8. CLEAN IMMEDIATELY
Remove any visible stains as soon as possible.
9. PROTECT WITH PADS
Attach felt pads to the bottom of furniture to avoid scratches.
10. PREVENT SUN DAMAGE
Wooden floors react to UV light, which gradually turns them a deeper shade. To even out the process, rearrange the furniture and rugs on a regular basis.
NEED TO TREAT A SCRATCH?
– Clean the scratched area with a small, soft brush (a toothbrush works well) to remove any dust or dirt.
– Uncoloured floor: Treat the scratched area with a clear wax oil for instance using a cotton bud.
– Colour-treated floor: Treat the scratched area with Osmo Color wood wax oil in a suitable shade for instance with a cotton bud. Note that as colour changes over time, the tone of the treated area may differ from the rest of the floor.
– Leave for 2-3 minutes before wiping off excess wax oil from the scratched area.
– Allow to dry for about 24 hours and then treat the scratched area with a clear wax oil.
– Leave to dry for at least 12 hours.
WANT TO GET RID OF A STAIN?
– For fruit, berry, juice, dairy, soft drink, wine, coffee, tea or urine stains, use a synthetic detergent.
– For grease, oil, tar, pitch, chocolate and shoe stains, use white spirit.
– For pen, ink, lipstick and office chemical stains, use methylated spirit.
– For blood stains, use cold water.
Photos: Mikko Ryhänen & Susanna Vento